Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Salina
Position Description – Lay Leader
The Lay Leader will assist the membership and the board of directors in maintaining important programs and processes within our UU home while promoting an environment of cooperation, communication, and volunteerism.
The position includes the following responsibilities:
1. Coordinate Children’s Spiritual/Religious Exploration.
2. Act as instructor AND/OR supervise, recruit and train volunteers, and plan curriculum to maintain opportunities at least twice per month for ALL children age 6-15 to participate in UU related education.
3. Create a new Sunday morning program for children’s SRE as possible.
4. Plan, coordinate, participate in Summer Peace Camp Team.
5. Recruit, train, and supervise staff for Sunday morning Child Care for ages 5 and under.
6. Assist with Sunday morning services.
7. Plan or present one Sunday morning service each month-12x per year.
8. Help the Spirituality Group maintain a consistent ‘thread of content’ and UU quality for all Sunday services and assist in the effort to observe ‘traditional’ services as possible. (I.e. help us remember to celebrate flower communion, stone soup, water service, etc.)
9. Serve on Ministerial Search Committee as Board Liaison
10. Plan and coordinate bi-annual pledge drives.
11. Act as new member coordinator
12. Personally contact guests inviting them to return.
13. Encourage an ‘atmosphere of welcome’ from current congregation.
14. Inspire and facilitate new membership and help new members find ways to become involved.
15. Plan and conduct classes to orient and educate new members.
16. Coordinate Volunteers
17. Assist the Board in identifying needs for volunteer positions and then act to find willing candidates.
18. Provide support and guidance to volunteers in these positions as needed.
19. Act as liaison to the board for the volunteers.
20. Facilitate the duties of other paid staff as follows:
21. Supervise Sunday morning child care staff.
22. Supervise janitorial/cleaning staff.
23. Assist media staff to obtain information needed for timely publication of newsletter.
24. Act as community and organizational liaison
25. Provide a point of contact between our fellowship and the greater Salina community.
26. Provide a point of contact between our fellowship and other UU congregations in Kansas, the MidAmerican Region and national UUA.
27. Provide Oversight for the Compassion Fund
This is a quarter time position, which will require approximately 450 flexible hours per year with a salary range of $7,000 to $8,500 per year. There are no benefits included but there is an expense fund of $480. This position reports to and takes direction from the elected Board.
The successful candidate for this position:
· Will have extensive knowledge of Unitarian Universalist history, theology, and organizational structure.
· Will possess educational credentials or practical experience with curriculum planning and classroom instruction for children ages 5 to 15.
· Will have proven leadership ability and demonstrate the skills necessary to work cooperatively within a team.
· Will embrace, support, and sustain the mission and goals of the UU Fellowship of Salina.
· Will have a proven record of administrative skills including but not limited to supervision of volunteers and employees, and strategic planning.